Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Home Management Binder

Today I'd like to introduce you to my Home Management Binder. It doesn't have a name yet, but if you have any great ideas, let me know in the comments. My mother has a file on her desk that we always called the "black hole" because if you were missing something, that's probably where it was and no one but Mom could ever find anything in it. My binder is still a work in progress, and I don't use it as much as I would like, but I really do like the shape it's taking so far, and maybe posting about it will encourage me to fill it out a little more. Here is the outside of my binder:


This binder was not bought specifically for this purpose. It has had many lives before it's current incarnation as a HMB. I believe it was first put to use holding paperwork from my Mary Kay business. It later served as a coupon binder, and now finds itself housing all of my home maintenance information. I like that it zips all the way around, and I love the 5 pocket accordion file in the front. This notebook lives in the front pocket. Right now it is mainly used for brainstorming blog ideas and rough drafting posts. Sometimes it tracks weights and measurements when I'm dieting. Sometimes it catches the random thoughts that jump out of my head. I like my things to be able to multitask.


This is the inside of my binder. I have a small notebook that serves many of the same purposes as the large one, plus it's my go-to for shopping lists and notes while I'm on the phone. There is also my pencil bag for pens, pencils (duh) and dry erase markers, and behind that (you can't see it, but trust me, it's there) is a 3-hole punch. I'd like to give you a quick peek at the different sections I have my binder divided into, and I'll go more in depth on each section over the next few days.


After you flip the pencil bag, the first page of my binder is the Desiderata, written by Max Ehrmann. It is one of my favorite inspirational works. I also have it hanging by front door. There is a lot of wisdom in this piece, and it never hurts to be reminded. I'll post the text in a couple of minutes.


After the Desiderata I have my Household Information page. It has our home address, important contact numbers for close relatives, the police, emergency, poison control, and the pediatrician. Pretty much any number a babysitter (or husband) might need if there was an emergency and I was not at home. Also a handy reference for me. **Note to self, tell Brad this is here in case he ever needs it.**


After my household info comes Schedules, Cleaning, and Menus. I'll go into more detail about these over the next few days.




In the back of my binder are a few folders, a clear plastic envelope that has yet to be assigned a duty, and extra page protectors.


Some sections I have yet to add but that are floating around in my head include: holiday planning, gardening, and budget. Check back tomorrow for a closer look at the different sections in my binder and how they're set up and how I use them.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Hello! I found you via Crunchy's blog, and was struck by your comment about everything being interconnected and all made of the same stuff (carbon). I've never heard anyone say that before except me, so I had to come over and check out your blog! I just love your home management binder - it's clear you've made it as welcoming and warm as I'm sure your house must be :) I'm looking forward to reading much more about it, and to poking around your lovely blog. :)